About the Course
History is all around us. There is history on every horizon. How well do you exploit local History? Take a trip back in time with us.... well, at least a course back in time! Exploring the past, our course is loaded with exciting approaches, ideas and resources to bring back to the classroom in September to stimulate, charge and support your ‘trips in History’, as children work as junior historians, uncovering the secrets of the past.
This self-paced on-line course explores the subject of History in the primary school curriculum as an attempt to reconstruct and interpret the past through working as an historian. Participants will appreciate that successful teachers of history use a broad range of classroom approaches and methodologies and will engage with aspects of all strands of the prescribed history curriculum.
This course aims to:
- Build each teacher’s capacity to teach history even better.
- Detail a broad and balanced understanding of local, Irish and international history through the study of a range of peoples, events and periods.
- Set out the content of the strands & strand units of the primary school history curriculum.
- Underline that it is while studying the strand units that we must engender and develop in our pupils the historical investigation skills concerned with time and chronology, cause and effect, change and continuity, the use of evidence, synthesis, communication and empathy.
- Itemise the varied but requisite approaches and methodologies to successfully plan, organise and complete units of work in a fun, lively and engaging way.
- Supply a wealth of digital interactive resources, ideas and materials.
- Have teachers reflect their current approach to the teaching of History, with a view to refining and building on current practice.
|01 - To impart an understanding of History as being an attempt to reconstruct and interpret the past through working as an historian.|
|02 - To introduce participants to the broad range of classroom approaches and methodologies used by the successful history teacher.|
|03 - To familiarize participants with the content areas of Local studies, Family and Story.|
|04 - To explore with participants the area of Early peoples and Ancient Societies.|
|05 - To explore the concepts of continuity and change over time, to look at eras of change and conflict and to look at life, society, work and culture in the past.|