About the Course
Are you currently teaching first and/or second class or perhaps moving into first and/or second class for the next school year? Are you looking to sharpen up your approaches, searching for new ideas, hunting for creative resources, on the look out for additional techniques, then you have struck gold! We have gone the extra mile to craft an all encompassing course, well resourced for the teacher of first and/or second class.
This course aims to:
- Equip teachers with the insights, skills, approaches, practices and activities to better teach literacy and mathematics.
- Equip teachers with the knowledge and materials to set up and implement a peer tutored – paired reading programme in order to derive the benefits that subsequently accrue for the children in reading fluency etc.
- Introduce and outline the Jolly Phonics Spelling and Grammar programme and its inherent techniques as a necessary support to writing & to the proposed new language continuum.
- Use purposeful and practical approach to poetry, rhyme and story as a rich seam for literacy development in the junior classes.
- Outline the Numicon approach to the teaching of mathematics and explore problem solving.
- Explore and create lessons that are cross curricular and assessment for learning focused.
- Equip teachers with a suite of assessment approaches to help identify and close gaps in pupil understanding.
- Itemise some digital tools that can facilitate literacy and mathematics teaching and learning.
- Review research/literature/writings to extrapolate good practice points for guiding work in literacy and mathematics.
- Look at, review and score one’s own ‘Teacher Practice in Literacy’ as part of the SSE process.
|01 - Paired reading programme: Familiarisation with the structure of a ‘Peer Tutored Paired Reading Programme’ and the benefits that derive from implementing such a programme in first or second class. Our module concludes with our 'Spreag an Gaeilge' section - ideas and activities to drive effective teaching of Irish.|
|02 - Jolly Phonics Grammar and Spelling: Introduction to the ‘Jolly Phonics’ approach to grammar and spelling in first & second class.|
|03 - Understanding how children learn Maths: How best to engage children in the activity of manipulating concrete materials, symbols, pictures and language.|
|04 - Teaching Maths: Exploring the many approaches and methodologies for the teaching of mathematics with children.|
|05 - Poetry & Rhyme plus SESE: A look at the opportunities for literacy skills development through exposure to and experience of a wide range of stimulating rhyme and poetry. The need to engage children in objective based, purposeful activity both in the classroom and outside in the local environment, while exploring aspects of the S.E.S.E. curriculum.|