About the Course
Assessment for Learning is possibly the hottest topic currently on the education radar. Why? .... because it can have a profound impact on how you teach, how your pupils learn and most importantly, how to deliver better learning outcomes. It is the duty of every teacher to know the detail of AfL. How well do you know AfL? The teachers who take this course will be expert in all aspects of AfL.
This course aims to:
- Detail the general approaches to assessment in primary school.
- Equip all teachers with a detailed working knowledge of the crucial ‘Assessment for Learning’ approach.
- Provide the AfL lesson structure based on the trio of WALTs, WILFs and FEEDBACK.
- Detail the benefits of an AfL approach to lesson delivery.
- Underscore the necessity to adopt an AfL lesson plan approach and apply this explicit approach to lesson creation and delivery in the coming year in order to derive better outcomes in learning.
- Detail the mechanism for writing of strong, explicit learning outcomes that are shared with the children.
- Suggest ways that success criteria are expressed and measured.
- Explore the need for quality questioning techniques.
- Provide a working and meaningful ‘three tier approach’ to differentiation.
- Emphasise the importance of feedback to guide next steps in learning for pupils.
- Provide rich library of digital material and digital interactives for maths and literacy.
- Look at, review and score one’s own ‘Teacher Practice in Literacy’ as part of the SSE process.
|01 - The theoretical background and principles of both formative and summative assessment with specific emphasis on assessment for learning.|
|02 - The practical implications of applying assessment for learning in the classroom with focus on sharing learning intentions and success criteria.|
|03 - The practical implications of applying AfL in the classroom with focus on effective questioning and peer- and self-assessment.|
|04 - The practical implications of applying AfL in the classroom with focus on giving effective feedback.|
|05 - The practical implications of applying AfL in the classroom with focus on planning and delivering an AfL lesson, and on drawing up a school policy on assessment.|