About the Course
YES, we all do drama on occasion, but how well do you do classroom drama, the curricular kind? Children love to play. Drama is child’s play, the essence of drama being the making of story through enactment. In this course, learn all the wonderful ways educational drama can be explored and exploited for learning. Enter to acquire knowledge, insights and techniques, but leave with a host of inspiring and creative drama making scenarios. Your classroom will be a stage come September!
This self-paced on-line drama course for teachers of junior classes sets out to guide teachers through a range of techniques, approaches, practical ideas and top tips for organising, creating and processing drama with their pupils, to allow them in turn to explore feelings, knowledge and ideas which inevitably leads to deeper understanding of themselves and others. Teachers will engage with the prerequisites for making drama and the elements of drama while working through the strands and strand units of the curriculum for junior classes. Teachers will look in detail at planning for drama at both whole school and class level. They will be exposed to a huge range of ideas and quality lessons for analysis, review and reflection. The exemplar lessons will draw from both discrete and cross curricular drama activities at junior class level.
This course aims to:
- Improve teacher understanding, skill and ability to teach Drama effectively.
- Verse teachers in the recommended approaches, methodologies, best practices and activities for developing pupil drama skills.
- Detail the elements that combine in effective drama teaching in each of the strands.
- Explore and create drama lessons that are based on strong ‘Assessment for Learning’ principles.
- Equip teachers with a suite of assessment approaches & techniques.
- Itemise some digital tools that can facilitate drama teaching and learning.
- Review research/literature/writings to extrapolate good practice points for guiding work in drama.
- Look at, review and score one’s own ‘Teacher Practice in Drama’ as part of the SSE process.
|01 - On completion of this module teachers will know the essence of drama and its significance for the child’s development.|
|02 - This module will furnish teachers with the practical approaches & methodologies for the teaching of drama in the junior classroom.|
|03 - The purpose of this module is to introduce teachers to a range of drama warm up & cool down activities and to introduce teachers to a selection of drama strategies conventions and teaching resources.|
|04 - This module will enable teachers to identify, analyse, review and assess a large selection of creative drama opportunities for the junior classes.|
|05 - In this module, teachers will read and reflect on their approach to teaching drama and how it will be influenced and impacted by participation in this course.|