About the Course
Are you looking for some refreshing ideas for teaching Mathematics in fifth & sixth class? Searching for additional approaches to expose your students to problems much more than to facts, where problem solving is at the heart of your mathematics lessons? We’ll not only ‘sum up’ all the key teaching ideas for you, we’re confident we’ll increase your available resources by ‘multiples’.
This self-paced on-line course engages teachers in considering many aspects of and teaching approaches in each of the 5 strands of mathematics: Number, Algebra, Shape & Space, Measures, Data and Algebra.
This course aims to:
- Improve teacher understanding, skill and ability to teach maths effectively.
- Verse teachers in the recommended approaches, methodologies, best practices and activities for developing pupil mathematical skills.
- Detail the elements that combine in effective mathematics teaching in each of the strands.
- Explore and create Maths lessons that are based on strong ‘Assessment for Learning’ principles.
- Equip teachers with a suite of assessment approaches.
- Showcase how ICT can help in mathematics teaching and learning.
- Review research/literature/writings to extrapolate good practice points.
- Look at, review and score one’s own mathematics ‘Teacher Practice’ as part of the SSE process.
|01 - Teachers will be introduced to the recommended approaches, methodologies and best practices for developing pupil mathematical skills, through explicit core text and the articles for further reading within the library.|
|02 - Teachers will work through the strand units for NUMBER, engaging with & trialing the best freely available software for developing NUMBER skills and supporting strong NUMBER concept acquisition.|
|03 - Teachers will work through the strand units for MEASURES, engaging with & trialing the best freely available software for developing skills around MEASURING and supporting strong concept acquisition.|
|04 - Teachers will work through the strand units for SHAPE & SPACE, engaging with & trialing the best freely available software for developing skills in the strand units of SHAPE & SPACE and supporting strong concept acquisition.|
|05 - Teachers will work through the strand units for DATA & ALGEBRA, engaging with & trialing the best freely available software for developing DATA & ALGEBRA skills and supporting strong concept acquisition in this area.|