About the Course
As we celebrate the centenary of the revolution that birthed our nation, a new era of revolution is upon us, to be fought by all TEACHERS across our education system!
It is time to rise up and truly embrace the transformational power of digital technology within the teaching and learning equation. It is time that Kahoot, Kidblog, Vocaroo, ePortfolio, Powtoon, Lightbot and the countless other foot-soldiers of the digital revolution were made at home in our classrooms.
Therefore, this Autumn, we deliver our teacher insurgents ‘The Digital Tools Kit’, the weaponry required to raise the digital flag, announcing the victory of true digital technology integration into our primary school curriculum.
People, the era of the eTeacher, the iStudent and the classroom in the cloud is nigh. We are teaching the 'Last Backpack Generation'. Gone are the days when solely traditional teaching tools & techniques got the job done. Liberation is now. True teaching & learning in the era of the ‘Screen Generation’ demands that teachers get to grips with the array of super effective digital tools that abound to make learning engaging, meaningful and relevant for today’s connected & device savvy student.
It’s time to be radical, to be revolutionary, to rise up and strike out for a new way of teaching, learning and assessment.
Join us on the front line of ‘Digital Education’ this Autumn/ Winter.
The on-line format of this course enables you to study at a time and place that best suits your own needs.
You can access your course from July 1st to 5pm on August 23rd.
Within this highly interactive web based course, a dynamic learning experience awaits, where you can interact with your fellow course participants through the in-course chat forums and communication tools provided by the CPD College learning system.
Our friendly and knowledgeable tutors actively support each course, providing expert interaction, guidance and feedback for all participants on chat questions and assignments which call for critical reflection, self-analysis and a reasoned response.
On successful completion of your course, you can download and print off your CPD record and Certificate of Completion.
We look forward to welcoming you to your course.
This course aims to:
- Contextualise the place for a suite of great digital tools as a key part of 'The Digital Strategy 2015-2020' and extrapolate points for immediate action and integration into each teacher's future classroom practice. YES - you will be using these great tools right from September onwards!
- Equip teachers with a suite of key digital tools, skills and pedagogical insights in order to take full advantage of the digital revolution to better teach the ‘Screen Generation’. That 'Old Ways Are Best' slogan is just so yesterday. If you aren't already, then this course will 'digitalise' you!
- Detail all aspects of e-Portfolios (Electronic Portfolios) for students and skill teachers to build their own class e-Portfolios using Google Sites. Cumbersome cardboard portfolios will be a thing of the past as teachers upload chosen work samples to each child's e-Portfolio. The 'cloud' awaits.
- Detail the research that should guide the integration of iPads & Apps, into teaching to drive engagement and even better learning outcomes. We put you on the highway to success.
- Itemise the educational context for and curriculum application of a suite of best digital tools. New tools for digital era education.
- Teach the skills necessary to use and operate each of the following key digital tools & others too, in order to enhance and drive teaching and learning:
- Class DoJo
- ...............and more.
- Discuss the case for schools embracing and accommodating BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) - YES - schools need to implement BYOD, as those that know tell us that we are currently teaching 'The last Backpack Generation'!
- Look at, review and score one’s own ‘Teacher Practice’ as part of the SSE process
|01 - Given the rapid rate of growth in technologies to support education, we are distilling out the best ones, equipping teachers with the digital tools, skills and pedagogical insights in order to take full advantage of the digital revolution to better teach the ‘Screen Generation’. Here we look at Powtoon, Kidblog and Befunky and iPads.|
|02 - BYOD – short for BRING YOUR OWN DEVICE is a new movement in education where students bring and use their own IT devices in the classroom, we explore the issues. Now is the time for schools to put the policies and procedures to enable children to bring devices to school, in the same way as they bring copybooks. REMEMBER - we are teaching 'The Last Backpack Generation', devices replacing schoolbags! Further, whatever the device, we skill build another suite of digital tools: Kahoot, Vocaroo, Audacity, Class DoJo and Best Apps.|
|03 - Here we train teachers in ‘Digital Storytelling’ which derive their power by weaving images, text, music, narrative and voice together, thereby giving deep dimension and vivid colour to characters, situations, experiences, and insights. The digital tools used are Photostory 3, My Storybook and Window Movie Maker. What digital story will you tell?|
|04 - We hear so much about coding and computer programming, but often know so little about it. Teachers want to be able to do it and bring it to their classrooms as part of developing mathematical skills. Computer programming is engaging, challenging and so relevant to children living, growing and preparing for work in the era of digital. Here we equip both you & them with the tools and skill sets to do just that. While learning skills and techniques that underpin LIGHTBOT and SCRATCH programming, we engage with problem solving, sequencing instructions, establishing procedures, creating loops, solving challenges etc. It's time to step up to the challenge!|
|05 - The first task is to explore what exactly is an e-Portfolio (Electronic Portfolio)? And thereafter to understand the purpose, proposed benefits and the motivations that underlie this latest digital tool that is set to become an integral part of education over the coming years. It even gets special mention in the 'National Digital Strategy 2015-2020'. E-Portfolios are set to replace the cumbersome cardboard folders of yeasterday, that were often stuffed full of dog-eared pages! E-Portfolios are the future today. Learn how to create them and make them available online. We complete the module with a look at iPads, their special features, their place in special education and the Apps that come recommended i.e. the best 'apptivities'!|